All My Thoughts Fit For Print
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 | Author: Mad Typist
Haven't posted in awhile, so here are all the things I've been thinking about, in random order, vomited out on the screen for your reading pleasure:
  • Went golfing at Hickam on Monday. I did a walk-on, which is the best way to go, since actually reserving a tee time is nigh impossible. I was paired with a really cool dude named Iain (the Scottish spelling), who is a pilot for UPS. Our golfing buddies for the day were the Deitz brothers - the elder of who is a youthful 86 years old, and yet he still walked the course. I drove a cart. I am a big fat loser, yo. I played a decent game - still too many strokes over par, but I managed to complete the round using a single golf ball, which tells me that I was accurate enough that my drives were all recoverable.

  • I saw Baby Mama a few days ago. It was okay - there were definitely some laugh out loud moments. Steve Martin is particularly great in a supporting role as Tina Fey's wacky new age boss. Still, for the first feature starring the unstoppable duo of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, I wanted a storyline with some more teeth. It was painfully gentle comedy, which feels particularly wrong for a woman like Poehler. You want her to be in something insane, something dangerous, something that leans towards "Strangers With Candy" levels of weirdness. I want a character like her murderous incestuous figure skater from Blades of Glory. This one is worth seeing once, but wait for the DVD version.

  • You haven't lived until you've driven around Oahu with two tiny, ancient Chinese women as your guides. You haven't eaten until you've been encouraged by those same ladies to "Try the beef tendon" and yes, that's a real freaking tendon. Eeeee.

  • Obama seems to have cruised in North Carolina, and barely lost in Indiana. I was hoping he'd steal Indiana, but the margin of defeat was ultra-slim, which is a good sign. It means the delegate math is getting that much more impossible for Clinton to spin.

  • If Kristy Yamaguchi doesn't win Dancing With The Stars, I'll be pissed.

  • Just finished reading Dan Savage's new book "The Commitment" and Nicola Griffith's "Ammonite". Both rocked my world. If you like brainy sci-fi, check out the latter. If you like hilarious and touching personal tales, check out the former (but read his first book "The Kid" first). Next up: Cormac McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men" and Iain Banks' "The Player of Games".
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 1:27 AM , Darin said...

I read "No Country For Old Men"... couldn't put it down until I flipped the last page. Great (albeit depressing) story. The movie really held true to the book as well.