Farewell, Opus
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 | Author: Mad Typist
Very sad news: Berkeley Breathed is ending the Opus comic strip.

I had welcomed the return of my favorite penguin to the comic pages a few years back, so it's sad to see him go again so soon. It's hard to describe just how influential the Bloom County books were to me growing up. I used to spend hours when I was young (10-14) reading those books, immersing myself in the world of Opus, Milo, Binkley, Portnoy, Bill the Cat and all the rest of the gang. It was how I learned about the politics and happenings of the 1980's - I may have been the only 11 year old in America who knew who Jeane Kirkpatrick was.

The strip was influential in my development as a budding young liberal (along with Doonesbury, which I also consumed with a fury). So, thanks to Berkeley Breathed for treating us to such a wonderful character over the years. He will be dearly missed.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 12:31 PM , Beers said...

Pour one out on the curb for Opus. I too used to read these strips like crazy when I was short.